What is AbyssGuard?
AbyssGuard is a web site protection system that offers prevention for different threat types like spam and hack attempts. It will analyze the behavior of your visitors and if everything is ok the content of your page will be served to them. They will be recorded for a short period of time in order not to be checked again. If AbyssGuard finds malicious behaviour, these users will be banned and your web page won't be served to them, thus saving server resources, bandwidth and making your web statistics more clear and probably shorter.
Note that AbyssGuard does not protect your web server, just your web sites. AbyssGuard is ideal for webmasters that own several web sites on the same server as it can be enabled on all of them with single centralized instance and common log.
AbyssGuard consists of Server and Client side. The Client side will observe the visits to the websites you wish to protect and will send information to the Server for analysis. The information sent to the Server is as follows:
- Your Settings values in order to know what to analyze
- Visitors' IP, URI, User-Agent, and request headers
Then the Server will analyze the data in order to find out if the visitor poses threat to you and it will return response. All offending IP addresses are being cached at the AbyssGuard Server and if enough different people report them for malicious activity they will be blacklisted for a short period of time.
The offenders will remain in the database on the Client side and will not be checked again at the Server for the period of time you define. However their further attempts to access the website again will be recorded for your information and shown in the log if enabled. The currently banned IP addresses will be shown in the Banlist page so if necessary you can remove individual IP addresses from this list earlier.
- Is AbyssGuard free? AbyssGuard is currently 100% FREE!
- What are the usage limitations? The only limitation is requests per day. You can choose between two plans, one with 5,000 requests per day and one with 10,000.
- What are the system requirements? AbyssGuard requires PHP 5.3 or higher and MySQL 5 or higher. You don't need any special permissions in order to install and use it.
- How do I install it? You can download the AbyssGuard Client from your profile page after you register. Extract the archive into a folder of your choice, edit and set up agconfig.php. Then access the /install folder and just follow the steps of the installation process. It should not take more than a minute. For full documentation please see the Wiki.